Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky. Bak Kwa (肉干) is a Chinese sweet and salty meat jerky. This recipe uses familiar ingredients such as miso paste and chilli powder instead of fermented red. Bak Kwa is one of the snacks that we Singaporeans always must have at home for Chinese New Year.
You can substitute it with chicken meat for a pork-free version. In this case, chicken thigh meat is better than. 'Bak kwa' is the Chinese version of meat jerky with a combination of flavours from the five spice powder, soy sauce, oyster sauce and fermented tofu. Chinese BBQ Meat Jerky, 肉干, Bak Kua, Long Yoke Korn.
Hello everybody, I hope you’re having an incredible day today. Today, I will show you a way to prepare a distinctive dish, bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky. It is one of my favorites food recipes. For mine, I will make it a little bit unique. This is gonna smell and look delicious.
To get started with this recipe, we must first prepare a few components. You can have bak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky using 17 ingredients and 15 steps. Here is how you cook it.
The ingredients needed to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- Make ready 500 g of Chicken Thigh Skinless Boneless,.
- Make ready 1 TBSP of Fish Sauce,.
- Get 1/2 TBSP of Dark Soy Sauce,.
- Make ready 1/2 TBSP of Light Soy Sauce,.
- Get 1 TBSP of Rose Wine,.
- Take of Chinese 5 Spice Powder, 1/2 TSP.
- Get 50 g of Demerara Sugar,.
- Make ready 50 g of Japanese Red Sugar / Dark Muscovado Sugar,.
- Make ready of Maltose Syrup / Pure Honey / Maple Syrup, 1 TBSP + More For Brushing.
- Get 1/4 TSP of Cinnamon Powder,.
- Get 1/4 TSP of Coriander Powder,.
- Take 1/4 TSP of White Pepper,.
- Prepare 1 TBSP of Sesame Oil,.
- Get Pinch of Smoked Sea Salt,.
- Make ready Pinch of Sriracha Powder / Smoked Paprika,.
- Get 1 TSP of Liquid Smoke,.
- Get of Hickory Smoking Chips (Optional).
I remember trying to bring this bak kwa from Singapore to Minneapolis when I first moved here and. Bakkwa, also known as rougan, is a Chinese salty-sweet dried meat product similar to jerky. Bakkwa is made with a meat preservation and preparation technique originating from China. I learnt this bak kwa recipe from one of my ex-neighbour, who has kindly given me permission to publish this recipe.
Steps to make Bak Kwa | 肉干 | Chinese BBQ Chicken Jerky:
- You can check out my previous recipe for the homemade Chinese 5 spice..
- If you have a meat grinder, that's great. Grind the chicken thigh with your meat grinder. If not, you can use a blender or a food processor. Cut half of the chicken thigh into small pieces. Blend or process them up in batches. *Do not over blend or process them. Stop once the meat is ground up.*.
- Transfer the ground chicken into a large mixing bowl. As for the remaining half of the chicken thigh, use a cleaver, chop into fine pieces. Chop as finely as humanly can. Transfer the chopped chicken into the same bowl as the ground chicken..
- Add in the rest of the ingredients, except for the liquid smoke. Mix to combine well. Mix, mix, mix. *A quick tip. Maltose syrup is difficult to work with at room temperature. After measuring out, transfer to a heatproof bowl and let steam for about 5 mins or until the maltose is liquified.* Cover with cling film and marinate in the fridge overnight..
- Preheat oven to 180 degree celsius or 360 fahrenheit. Transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a square as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick. Remove the top parchment paper..
- Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch.* Transfer the chicken with the bottom parchment paper onto your baking tray. Wack into the oven and bake for 10 mins. *(Optional) For some extra smoked flavors, you can add some smoking chips into a large bowl covered with aluminum foil. Set it on a light fire and place it at the bottom of your oven while baking the chicken.*.
- Mix 2 heaped TBSP of maltose and liquid smoke until well combined. *Keep it warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step.* Remove from the oven. Brush the chicken with the maltose mixture..
- Wack into the oven and bake for another 10 mins. Remove from the oven. Set oven to roast. Brush the chicken with more maltose mixture..
- Wack into oven and roast for 5 mins. Remove from oven, flip and brush the chicken with maltose mixture. Wack into oven and bake for a final 5 mins or until the edge are lightly charred. Remove from oven, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. Repeat the process for the remaining chicken..
- Smoked version: I also included a smoked version with the help of my NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker. It is optional. But I would recommend smoking these Bak Kwa. Yes, it does lack texture but sure makes up for flavors. And I mean, complex layers of flavors..
- For the smoking method. *If you are using this smoked method, replace smoked salt with sea salt.* If you have a smoker, I would highly recommend smoking the chicken jerky. Although it lacks texture, it makes up for flavors. I am using NordicWare's Stovetop Kettle Smoker..
- Follow the procedures as per instructed manual. After the chicken had been marinated, transfer about 2 heaped TBSP of the chicken onto a parchment paper. Place the other parchment paper on top of the chicken. Using a rolling pin, roll and spread out the chicken into a circle (smaller than the kettle smoker), as evenly as you can, to about 1/8 inch thick..
- Remove the top parchment paper. *Do not discard, as you can use it for your second batch.* *Keep maltose warm on a double boiler for easier handling. If you are using honey or maple syrup, you can skip this step.* Smoke for 15 mins, remove the cover, brush with the maltose..
- Cover and smoke for another 15 mins. Remove cover, flip and brush with the maltose. Cover and smoke for a final 10 or 15 mins or until the edges are lightly charred. *I would suggest, taking the temperature higher than stated in the instruction manual, cos we want those charred edges.* Remove from smoker, set aside to rest and cool before serving. It will taste better the next day. Repeat the process for the remaining chicken..
- You can check out the detailed recipe video: https://www.instagram.com/tv/CK38AJ6lgxv/.
She has always felt that Bak Kwa in Singapore is highly overpriced (especially during Chinese New Year) and the queue for it is crazy, so she is an advocate for making your own. Homemade Bak Kwa (BBQ Pork Jerky). Homemade Chinese Pork Jerky (Bak Kwa) 肉干. Bake for Happy Kids is top Singapore Australia baking cooking food blog written by Zoe, who lives in Melbourne. Bak Kwa (肉干 / Meat Jerky) Stud Earrings Made of: Polymer Clay Mounted on Surgical Stainless Steel Ear Studs using Resin OR Mounted on Iron Metal Clip on Earring. (Great for Sensitive Ears) Glazed.
So that is going to wrap this up for this special food b
ak kwa | 肉干 | chinese bbq chicken jerky recipe. Thanks so much for your time. I am sure that you can make this at home. There’s gonna be interesting food in home recipes coming up. Don’t forget to save this page on your browser, and share it to your family, colleague and friends. Thank you for reading. Go on get cooking!